Thursday, July 30, 2015
Ten Stats That Will Leave You Optimistic About 2015 Iowa State Football
With college football season right around the corner I figured it was time to re-establish myself on the blog. After some research I've found myself more optimistic than most when it comes to the upcoming ISU football season. Here are ten statistics that will leave you feeling the same.
1) The last coach to go 5-19 over a two year span in Ames (Gene Chizik) won a national championship just two years later. Paul Rhoads is 5-19 in his last two seasons.
2) The incoming freshman class has never lost a Big 12 game. NEVER.
3) Top 10 good? Maybe. ISU finished in the top ten in the Big 12 in EVERY statistical category last season.
4) Playoff?! We're talking about playoffs?! If they get there it's important to note that a likely opponent (Alabama) hasn't beat Iowa State since the 2001 Independence Bowl.
5) Iowa State's only winning season in the last decade was preceded by a winless Big 12 slate the year before. Last season? 0-9 in the Big 12.
6) The Cyclones have now had three 2-10 seasons in their history. In the previous two they responded with seven win seasons including a CHAMPIONSHIP in each of those seasons (2004 Independence Bowl, 2009 Insight Bowl).
7) Lucky #7. Paul Rhoads is entering his 7th season as head coach. The last coach to make it to their seventh season won seven games (Dan McCarney 7-5 in 2001).
8) Las Vegas has Iowa State's odds of winning the Big 12 at 100-1. There are only eight teams with better odds.
9) Last season ISU had a money line of +100000 to win the National Championship. This year? +40000. Remember folks, in this case the lower the number, the better the odds.
10) With the completion of the "South Endzone Project" Jack Trice will now have the third largest capacity in the Big 12 behind Texas and Oklahoma. This new "Big Three" trio of OU, UT and ISU has combined to win 10 out of the last 15 Big 12 championships. As Meatloaf says, "two out of three ain't bad"!
Cyclone fans let me caution you, #AStormIsComing